Monday, December 15, 2008



Introduction

I was just informed about the passing of my dad, at first shocked, as the news was unexpected. I was ending a busy work day taking Sebastien to the dentist when the school received a call from my sister. No one wanted to tell me while I was driving but strangely I received calls from my close colleagues telling me to call them when I got home. Only yesterday I was planning a Christmas photo for my dad and looking for a colorful frame showing traditional Jerusalem. I was scheduled to fly from Israel this Friday and visit him on Sunday before heading to Santa Fe for the Holidays. The news took me totally off guard even though I've been having feelings that something was wrong somewhere. I recently checked with friends that all was okay not realizing the feelings were closer to home. When I was told my father had passed away, feelings of uncertainty, anger, disbelief, loneliness and grief rushed through my body. I walked in circles looking for the phone to call my sister. Being so far away leaves me with a feeling of helplessness at this time. I find some comfort with the faith that my dad is probably smiling at me, finally finding peace from the mysterious feelings of Alzheimer.

I'm very much like he was at my age and I need to be busy doing something. It's what holds back the sorrow of these times and keeps me cool and calm when facing challenges. I have to do something but I'm so far away. So, in an effort to honor the memory of my Dad and help my siblings with arrangement, I immediately turned to this tool I teach students to use. I hope this blog will be of support to all our friends and family of James Roberts, our father, "Dad", "J.R." "Pops", as we celebrate his passing to eternal life in heaven. He was always very good to me, sharing his pop when we were kids visiting Lake Elsinore, teaching card games, taking extra work at Christmas for us, making sure I had transportation to my university classes, having work for me at the shop when I needed some extra money and one of few who encouraged me to pursue my dream of traveling and living in other cultures when the fears and doubts of the unknown almost caused me to miss the opportunity. "Dad, I thank you again. I find comfort knowing that your adventuresome spirit is no longer limited and can now enjoy the fullness of life with Gods love."

Feel free to share your special memories of my dad or leave a special message for the family by commenting on this blog If you happen to have any photos of him that will make a nice addition to the slide show email them to sroberts57@yahoo.com.